Skip to main content

Full text of "Reminiscences, 1861-1865 : General M.W. Ransom's brigade"

See other formats







Transferred from the Department 
of Archives and History 

H29 r 


This book must not 
be taken from the 
Library building. 




Digitized by the Internet Archive 
in 2013 





Captain Company I, 56th Regiment 

North Carolina Troops* 




Statesville, N. C. 


Housen Harrill, my great-grandfather, was 
born in Virginia. He married Francis Street, 
moved to North Carolina, and settled on Beaver 
Dam Creek, in what is now Cleveland county. 
Here they raised a large family — five sons and sev- 
eral daughters. Their son Samuel, born June 19, 
1772, was my grandfather. 

Tradition has it that Housen Harrill, served 
in the Revolutionary war. If so, he was probably 
in a Virginia Regiment. He represented Ruther- 
ford county in the Legislature of 1804. 

Samuel Harrill was married about 1799 to 
Susannah Hamrick. They lived on Sandy Run 
Creek in Rutherford county, and were the parents 
of six sons and five daughters. Their fourth son, 
Amos, was my father. 

My maternal great-grandfather James LEE, and 
his wife, Mary Chisholm, were raised in Virginia. 
He was connected with the family from which Gen- 
eral Lee descended. 

At the beginning of the Revolution he was living 
in Tryon county, now Rutherford county, North 
Carolina. He fought at King's Mountain and 
Cowpens. Being severely wounded at Cowpens, 
he was carried to his home 12 or 15 miles distant. 


While on furlough he received a letter from Gener- 
al Pickens commending his bravery in that battle. 
Cassandra or "Cassie Lee," his daughter, mar- 
ried William Baxter, and their daughter, Eliz- 
abeth, my mother, married Amos Harrill, March 

3°i l8 37- 

I am the eldest of fifteen children and was born 

February 17, 1838. William Baxter, the second 

child died in infancy. 

My boyhood days were spent in Rutherford 
county, where I attended the common schools. 
Webster's blue back was a text book and boys were 
taught to spell. I learned to do all kinds of farm 
work, and also that fish would bite on Sunday. 

My life was uneventful until my twentieth year. 
At that time my brothers aud sisters were attacked 
with a malignant form of scarlet fever. On Feb- 
ruary 22, 1858, Susan, one of my twin sisters died. 
Though only eleven years of age, she seemed to real- 
ize that she could not live and selected a place for 
her burial. Baity died February 27; Esther, 28; 
Sarah, March 3; and Priscilla, March 14. 

I regard this great affliction as the turning point 
in my life. I realized that I was without a hope of 
that happy existence beyond the grave. I was in a 
state of unrest and anxiety until May 31st. It was 
customary in those days to preach funerals some 
time after death and burial. At the services in 

memory of my brother and four sisters, while my 
uncle, William Harrill, was preaching, I was con- 

The same year, 1858, I commenced the study of 
medicine under Dr. O. P. Gardner. I entered Jef- 
ferson Medical College, Philadelphia, in October, 
1859. Here I became aware of the intense animos- 
ity existing between the North and South. 

My first experience in political excitement was 
at the time of the John Brown raid at Harper's 
Ferry. The bitterness increased during i860. 
March 9, 1861, I graduated in medicine and re- 
turned to my home. 


On the 13th of April, 1861, I arrived in Charles- 
ton, S. C, and the next day saw the United 
States flag lowered at Fort Sumter. From Spartan- 
burg I had traveled with a number of South Caro- 
lina Volunteers, who were in a state of great ex- 
citement. The firing had ceased before we reached 
the city and the surrender took place next day. 

When I returned to Rutherford county, I made 
and raised the first secession flag in the county. In 
a few days Lincoln's proclamation calling for troops 
to coerce the States that had already seceded was 
the topic discussed at every fireside. It was the gen- 
eral opinion that North Carolina would secede. 

Governor Ellis called the Legislature to meet 
May i. In the meantime volunteer companies were 
being organized all over the State. 

My brother Amos and I joined the first one to 
leave our county. My brothers George and John 
joined one which was formed later. Our company 
was organized and drilled for several days at the 
place where Forest City now stands. My cousin, 
H. D. Lee, grandson of James Lee, was elected Cap- 
tain. On May i, we left for Raleigh. We marched 
to Lincolnton (our nearest R. R. station) took a 
freight train and reached Raleigh May 3rd, or 4th, 
where we found the greatest excitement, troops be- 
ing sent to the front and regiments being organized, 
as the Legislature had authorized the Governor to 
raise ten regiments before the meeting of the State 
Convention. Our company was placed in the 6th 
Regiment Volunteers, North Carolina Troops. We 
camped at the old quarry, where the stone used in 
building the capital was taken. We spent most of 
the time in drilling. Here I learned the manuel 
of arms. 

My uncle Micajah Durham, father of Plato Dur- 
ham, was a delegate to the State Convention. He 
took me into the Capital, shared his seat with me, 
hence I was present when the ordinance of secession 
was passed on the twentieth of May, 1861. 

To avoid confusion, the numbers of the volun- 

teer regiments were changed, and my company was 
assigned to the 16th Regiment, being Company D. 
Stephen L,ee, of Asheville, was our Colonel. 

July 5th, 1 86 1, we left Raleigh, arrived in Rich- 
mond on the 6th and in a few days were ordered to 
what is now West Virginia, to re-inforce General 
Garnett, who was killed before we could reach him. 

My first experience in marching in battle array 
was from Staunton, Va., across the Alleghanies to 
Valley Mt., at the head of Tygart's River. I was 
wearing a pair of Oxford ties. Blisters were num- 

While we were in camp at Valley Mt., our regi- 
ment was visited with an epidemic of measles term- 
inating in many cases, on account of unavoidable 
exposure, in rapid pneumonia, or followed by 
typhoid fever. 

There were no experienced nurses, no suitable 
food, no competent cooks and a scant supply of 
medicines. The Surgeon and Assistant-Surgeon 
were sick and Dr. J. I,. Rucker and I, both pri- 
vates, were detailed for medical services. We did 
what we could, but the great number of the sick 
(at one time amounting to several hundred) over- 
whelmed us. Disease caused greater mortality 
among us than any battle of the war. 

September 23rd, we were ordered to advance on 
the position of the enemy. There was skirmish- 


ing for a day or two. Here I saw my first dead 
Federal soldier. On our return our command 
halted. I was sick and had permission to leave the 
regiment. In going to the rear I met General R. 
E. Lee, riding alone. He made inquiries about a 
certain Tennessee Regiment, then said, "you look 
sick, go as far as you can. I am going to order 
these troops to retire and you will be exposed to 
capture." I kept going until exhausted, when I 
spent the rest of the night on the grass in a moun- 
tain meadow. 

About October i, the troops were withdrawn 
from Valley Mt. It had been raining almost daily 
for weeks and all streams were raging. We had 
great difficulty in crossing a river The current was 
so strong that one man could not stand in it, but 
they gripped each other and crossed in groups. 
In a few days I was detailed to take charge of a 
train of wagons and convey more than fifty typhoid 
fever patients to the hospital at Rock Bridge Alum 
Springs, 50 or 60 miles away. 

Here I assisted in treating the sick, until I was 
attacked with jaundice. When I recovered I was 
placed in charge of a ward in the hospital. Soon 
after, I took charge of the Dispensary, where I re- 
mained until December, when I rejoined my regi- 
ment near the Potomac river, east of Manassas. We 
spent the winter here and suffered many hardships. 


While here I heard of the death of my brother 
George, in the hospital at Goldsboro, N. C. He 
was in his twentieth year. He had been in service 
only a few months. 

In March, 1862, with First Lieutenant Kilpat- 
rick, I was detailed to return to Rutherford county 
to enlist recruits. We raised about 75 men, and 
rejoined our regiment at Fredricksburg, Va. Here, 
on April 7, we organized a new company, with J. 
W. Kilpatrick, Captain, and L,. Harrill, First Lieu- 
tenant. This new company, "N" was attached to 
the 1 6th Regiment, making 13 companies in that 
regiment. This company was mainly new men 
with a few transfers from Company D. 

In a few days we left for Ashland, Va., and on to 
Yorktown. Here we were exposed to fire from the 
Federal gunboats. A shell from one struck our 
breastworks and threw dirt over me. 

The retreat from Yorktown to Richmond, began 
on May 4, and our march was made over roads al- 
most knee deep in mud. At Williamsburg there 
was a hard fought battle, but our regiment was not 
engaged. On this retreat I saw our Commander 
Gen. Jos. E. Johnson, for the first time. After one 
hard day's march, we made our supper on corn 
taken from the hungry mules and parched. 

We remained in the vicinity of Richmond until 
May 30, when we marched toward Mechanicsville. 


May 31, we went to Seven Pines at double quick. 
Firing in our front warned us that we were to en- 
ter our first battle, and the roadside was, lined with 
playing cards, which the men cast aside not wish- 
ing to carry them into the fight. We were under 
command of that dauntless old hero, Gen. Wade 
Hampton, who rode quietly along the line saying, 
"Do not fire a shot until you feel the enemy on 
your bayonets." We lost our Captain, J. W. Kil- 
patrick, and W. A. Brooks, A. K. Lynch, A. R. 
Sorrels and J. G. Price. The latter, our drummer, 
went voluntarily into battle. A number of our 
men were wounded. After the battle we had a sup- 
per of pork and beans from kettles on the camp 
fires of a Pennsylvania Regiment, " The Bucktail 

I was promoted to Captain and served as such 
until the close of the war. At Seven Pines, Gen- 
eral Johnson was wounded, and General Lee became 
Commander. Early next morning he rode by my 
company on old "Traveller." 

We remained in this locality until June 19, when 
I was ordered to report with my company at Camp 
Mangum, Raleigh, N. C. Here our company was 
transferred to the 56th Regiment, North Carolina 
Troops and became Company I. Ours was the on- 
ly company in this regiment that had seen active 
service. This was our first opportunity for drilling, 


as heretofore we had been too close to the enemy. 
Col. H. B. Watson inspected the company July i, 
1862, and made this report: — "Discipline: Good. 
Instruction: Very deficient. Military Appearance: 
Good. Arms: Mixed but serviceable. Accoutre- 
ments: Good. Knapsacks: Worthless. Clothing: 
Deficient." We drilled every day and soon felt that 
as skirmishers we were the best in the regiment. 
(For account of the formation of this company 
and its transfer see North Carolina Regiments, 
Vol. Ill, page 316.) 

Aug. 8, 1862, the 56th was ordered to Goldsboro. 
The next three months were spent marching and 
counter-marching between Goldsboro, Warsaw, 
Magnolia, Wilmington, the seacoast, Tarboro, etc. 
We took one trip in the rain on flat cars. Smoke 
from rich pine wood used in the engine blew full 
upon us. When we reached camp where soap and 
water were scarce, we had no change of clothing. 
The figure, size, or roll call revealed a man's iden- 
tity. Bast of Tarboro, on November 4th, Vance, 
our recently elected Governor, visited us. He was 
wearing a high silk hat and was greeted with 
"Come out of that hat! We know you are in there 
because we see your feet sticking out." Vance en- 
joyed the joke as much as the men. 

November 5, expected attack from General Fos- 
ter — had skirmishing. November 6th, had pursued 


enemy to Hamilton, N. C. Next day we had sev- 
eral inches of snow. I was unwilling for the half 
dozen barefooted men to March through it, and 
with difficulty secured a wagon for them. On 
November 15th, we crossed Roanoke River at Hill's 
Ferry, near Palmyra. We marched through Bertie 
county to Murfreesboro. We were escorted through 
the town by Colonel Wheeler (author of North Car- 
olina History) and his cavalry. November 19th, 
crossed the Nottaway River, marched to Franklin, 
Va., and 6 miles beyond. We were without food. 
I failed to secure any supplies from the commis- 
sary but was invited to sup with my Colonel, which 
I declined to do. We remained at Franklin, Va., 
for several weeks. 

December 8th. A detachment from my company 
under Lieutenant Sweezy, who never saw anything 
too big for him to fight, attacked a small gunboat 
in Blackwater River and forced it to withdraw. 
My men being on a bluff had the advantage. 

January 17, 1863. Returned to Goldsboro N. C, 
and were ordered to the front on picket duty at 
Magnolia. January 20th, went to Keenansville. 
Here the Brigade of General M. W. Ransom was 
formed by placing 24th, 25th, 35th, 49th and 56th 
Regiments under his command. February 22nd. 
Ordered to Wilmington, thence to Old Topsail 
Sound (Feb. 24) where we drilled until March 23 


when we started to Kinston, ariving April i. April 
17th we crossed Neuse River and by the 19th 
reached Wise's Fork, where we lay in line of battle. 
At this time the Federals were occupying Newbern. 

April 24th, Company's I, E and G, all under my 
command, were ordered to Gum Swamp, ten miles 
east of Kinston. On the 28th we were attacked 
by four regiments, at least 1600 men, while my 
force was 165. We held our position on the east 
side of the swamp for about two hours, then crossed 
to the west side and fought until darkness closed 
the battle. We lost one officer, Lieutenant Lutter- 
loh, and three men killed. Enemy's loss, ten killed 
and eighteen wounded. Next morning Adjutant 
E. J. Hale wrote an account of the skirmish and 
published it in the Fayetteville Observer. He says, 
"Capt. Harrill, Company I, commanded during the 
first of the fight and until the arrival of Colonel 
Faison. He is certainly one of the coolest men I 
ever saw, and all award him praise for the admir- 
able handling of his little force while in command. 
* * * *. Our officers and men behaved most 
admirably, not one leaving his post or straggling 
in any way * * * *. The force of the enemy 
in our front consisted of six regiments of infantry 
and a squadron of cavalry." (For another account 
see North Carolina Regiments, Vol. Ill, page 323.) 


We remained near Wise's Fork, until May 21, 
when my company was again on picket duty, one 
mile south of the railroad at a crossing of Gum 
Swamp. During the night the enemy passed in 
rear of my position and attacked our regiment 
where the first battle of Gum Swamp was fought. 
After the battle I withdrew my company, crossed 
the enemy's trail through the swamp, and after 
hours of wandering joined our regiment at Wise's 
Fork. About half of the regiment was captured. 
Company I did not lose a man. 

At this time the enemy was threatening Rich- 
mond from both sides of James River. To meet 
emergencies our brigade was moved rapidly from 
place to place. May 28, to Petersburg; 29, Rich- 
mond; June 2, Petersburg; June 13, Drewry's Bluff; 
17, Petersburg; 21, Halfway House. June 26, we 
had a night march to Seven Pines to meet a column 
of the enemy coming from the WhiteHouse. June 
2, we met a large force of Federals, partly new 
recruits, near Bottom's Bridge and had the longest 
running fight that I saw during the war. We ad- 
vanced eight or ten miles rapidly, often at double 
quick, but the enemy outran us to the shelter of 
their gunboat on York River. 

July nth, we were at Petersburg; 28th, Weldon, 
N. C; Aug. 1st, Garysburg, N. C; Aug. 12th, Hali- 
fax; i3th,Hamilton; 16th ordered back to Garysburg. 


About the last of August, '63, my company with 
others, was ordered to Wilkes county, North Car- 
olina, to break up the gang of deserters and lawless 
characters, whose refuge was in the mountains. We 
arrested large numbers and sent them to the army. 
These men were from several States. 

My company was in Wilkes, Ashe, Alleghany 
and Randolph counties until January 1, 1864, when 
the regiment was assembled at Goldsboro, where 
we drilled until ordered to Kinston, about the 
28th. 29th and 31st we advanced toward Newbern. 
February 1st, moved at 2 a. m., and captured an 
outpost on Bachelor's Creek, my company on skir- 
mish line took several prisoners. One man, hidden 
in the grass, threw up his hands as we came near. 
James Nelon was in the act of shooting him when 
I struck down the gun with my sword. We made 
a rush for the railroad bridge hoping to cut off the 
enemy but failed, then closed in around Newbern 
and spent the day in sight of their fortifications, 
then were sent back to Kinston. 

February 7th, sent to Weldon by train; 26th, to 
Franklin, Va.; March 9th, to Suffolk, where we 
captured a number of prisoners and returned to 
Franklin; 12th, by train to Weldon. We then 
camped at Garysburg for drilling, also muster, and 
inspection for January and February, by Colonel 
Faison. Here I had my first experience in drilling 


a regiment. We left for Tarboro April 14th, and 
next day the march to Plymouth began. The 
49th Regiment being absent on special duty, the 
8th Regiment was placed in Ransom's Brigade un- 
til its return. 


We reached the vicinity of Plymouth on Sun- 
day, April 17th. Brigadier Gen. R. F. Hoke, com- 
manded this expedition. Under him were his own 
bigade, Colonel Lewis, Commanding, Kemper's Vir- 
ginia Brigade; General M. W. Ransom's Brigade; 
Deering's Cavalry, Branch's and other Artillery. 

The engagement began Sunday evening, the en- 
emy opening fire with artillery. My company was 
deployed as skirmishers on the Washington Road 
and drove the Yankee skirmishers within their 

April 1 8th. The position of my command was 
changed to the south front of the enemy's fortifica- 
tions. About 5 P. M. a Staff Officer rode up to our 
Commander with General Ransom's compliments, 
and said, "Send me Capt. Harrill's Company." 
We were sent forward to engage the enemy's pick- 
ets and drove them in. The Yankee Artillery 
opened fire, and we sheltered behind stumps and 
logs, as best we could, to avoid the heavy shower 
of grape shot hurled at us. We lay down and all 


the artillery on both sides opened fire, the shot and 
shell passing over us. The artillery duel is de- 
scribed in North Carolina History, Vol. V, page 179, 
as follows: "The action commenced about sunset. 
The night being perfectly clear with, a full moon, 
every object was visible. The sight was magnifi- 
cent. The screaming, hissing shells, meeting and 
passing each other through the sulphurous air, ap- 
peared like blazing comets with their burning fuses 
and would burst with frightful noise, scattering 
their fragrants as thick as hail." 

April 19th. Our position was changed several 
times. At dark we marched to east of Plymouth. 
About midnight we reached Conaby Creek where 
the bridge had been destroyed by the enemy. We 
crossed the creek on pontoon bridge and took posi- 
tion in an open field in front of strong fortifications. 

April 20th. We advanced on the town at day- 
light. My company was ordered to keep close to 
the river, as sharpshooters, without regard to the 
movements of the regiment. 

We crossed a swamp through water hip-deep, ad- 
vanced through yards and gardens, to the crossing 
of Jefferson Street, where we came into range of 
heavy infantry fire. T. R. Campbell, Sam'l Green, 
J. P. Philbeck, H. W. Price, R. H. Wall, and Hous- 
en Harrill were wounded. The latter still carries 
a minnie-ball in his leg as a souvenir. William 


Daves, Co. I, color guard (with the regiment) was 
instantly killed. 

Advancing, we reached Battery Worth, fired into 
the open rear door, whereupon the occupants sur- 
rendered Taking the prisoners with us we turned 
to the left. About 75 yards in that direction 
brought us in rear of the right wing of the enemy's 
fortifications, full of Federal soldiers, who promptly 
surrendered. We marched our prisoners (double 
our own number) into the west end of Water Street 
and required them to sit or lie down. Thus we 
had opened the way for Lewis' men to enter the 
town from the west side without firing a shot. 

The quotations given below bear upon this en- 
gagement and the part taken by my men. North 
Carolina Regiments, Vol. 5, page 188: "Company 
I of the 56th., under Captain Harrill, was sent in 
advance of the regiment with orders to keep along 
the river and was thus the first company to enter the 
towji, [italics mine] and about sunrise captured 20 
artilleryists who were serving the 200 pound gun 
intended for the "Albemarle," which was proceed- 
ing up the river with our line and secured Captain 
Cook from further opposition of any moment." 

North Carolina Regiments, Vol. Ill, page 340, 
342, 343: " Company I pressed straight forward 
sweeping everything before them between Water 
Street and the river bank." ***** 


"The part assigned to Harrill's men under their 
fearless leader had been effectually accomplished. 
Through water hip deep they crossed the canal and 
swamp and keeping near the river, passing around 
houses and bursting through garden and yard fen- 
ces, they reached the rear of Battery Worth, con- 
taining the 200 pounder specialty provided to an- 
ticipate the coming of our iron clad "Albemarle." 
One volley was sufficient. The white flag was run 
up and the battery with some twenty artillery men 
surrendered to him. Taking the prisoners with 
them from this battery on the river they imme- 
diately charged to their left and thus struck in the 
flank and rear the right section of the enemy's line 
of battle occupying the breastworks here on Water 
Street facing up the river. His demand to surren- 
der was promptly complied with and while Harrill 
here gathered in his prisoners largely outnumbering 
his own rank and file, Lewis' men, who had held 
the attention of the enemy in their front, came in 
at a double quick over the cause-way leading 
through the swamp on the west of Plymouth, 
passed Harrill's position and joined Graham's de- 

General Wessels, commander of the United States 
forces, says: "At daylight the following day, 20th 
of April, while my right and front was seriously 
threatened, the enemy advanced rapidly against 


my left, assaulting and carrying the line in that 
quarter, penetrating the town along the river and 
capturing Battery Worth." 

Fort Worth was captured by my company alone. 
No other part of the regiment nearer than 300 or 
400 yards. Near the Fort we captured a hospital 
tent and I placed a guard over it until the drugs 
could be turned over to our Medical Department. 
We also captured a lot of clothing and provisions. 
Jonathan Mooney came out of a tent with a large 
ham on his bayonet. After the battle we had a 
feast of fried ham and other good things — had gen- 
uine coffee with sugar in it. C. P. Tanner, one of 
the first to enter Plymouth and Battery Worth was 
almost barefooted. He asked permission to search 
the tents for shoes and soon came back with a good 
pair on his feet. Gen. Hoke's success in this battle 
made him a Major General. 

General Wessel's official report says: "The killed, 
wounded and missing was 127 officers and 2,707 
men, besides 3000 stand of small arms, 20 pieces of 
artillery and a large quantity of other supplies." 
Ransom's Brigade lost killed 62, wounded 414. 

April 25th. Marched to Washington, N. C; 
26th, closed around the town prepared to attack. 
During the night the enemy withdrew toward New- 
bern. From April 28th, to May 3rd, we were at 
Greenville. May 5th, crossed the Neuse on pon- 


toon, crossed the Trent at Pollocksville, and ad- 
vanced to the railroad 10 miles below Newbern 
where we were shelled from gunboats in Neuse 
River. May 6th. By forced march to Kinston. 
Off for Petersburg, by rail, May 9th. Several miles 
of road between Weldon and Petersburg had been 
destroyed by Federal Cavalry. We marched by 
burning cross ties to Stony Creek, Va., where train 
was in readiness and we were rushed to Petersburg. 
Heard firing across the Appomattox, the enemy be- 
ing within one mile of the town and held in check 
by a few companies of Confederates with the old men 
and boys of Petersburg. Women and children were 
on the streets, wringing their hands and crying. 
As we rushed through the town they handed us 
lunches of cold bread and whatever they could find. 
One lady gave a hat to my brother, Amos, who had 
lost his when on the train. He wore the hat until 
he was killed not quite two weeks later. We 
reached Petersburg just in time to prevent its cap- 

May nth. Moved to "Half Way House" between 
Petersburg and Richmond, where my company was 
placed on skirmish line in an open field on the 
crest of a ridge with a line of battle opposed. Un- 
der orders we retired across Proctor's Creek, skir- 
mished, and held our position until dark. May 12th 
Occupied breastworks west of the railroad. We 


were attacked by skirmishers in front and surprised 
by line of battle in rear. My company occupied ae 
angle in our breastworks which had- been prepared 
for artillery. When attacked from the rear we 
jumped over and occupied the other side of our 
breastworks. This angle was nearest the enemy's 
line of battle and but for our stubborn resistance a 
considerable portion of Ransom's Brigade would 
have been captured. Company I was complimented 
for the determined and successful stand made at this 

Private George Griffin sat on the breastworks 
smoking when the battle commenced. He re- 
mained there and when he finished smoking coolly 
knocked the ashes from his pipe and put it into his 

Private Thomas Owens, who from exposure, had 
lost his voice — Aphonia — a year previous, was 
struck by a ball directly over the heart. He imme- 
diately called out "Captain, I'm shot." He recov- 
ered voice and health, and is still living. The ball, 
having struck a rib, passed around the body and 
was taken from the back. 

When ordered to withdraw, my company was 
among the rear guard and fell back in perfect 
order. The gallant Cicero Durham, of the 49th, 
was killed here. Skirmishing continued May 13th, 
14th and 15th, and General Ransom was severely 


wounded. May 16th, a general engagement was 
brought on by our Commander, General Beaure- 
guard. We were on a turnpike directly behind the 
Washington Artillery of New Orleans, in a danger- 
ous situation, though not actually engaged. Many 
prisoners were captured and Butler was "bottled" at 
Burmuda Hundreds as a result of this battle. 


At this place, for some unknown reason, five com- 
panies were sent forward in the face of the enemy, 
without support on either flank. Result: Company 
I lost Corporal W. C. Beam, the tallest man in the 
regiment, Sergeant Amos Harrill, Privates George 
Griffin and the brothers, Jack and Joe Tessenear, 
killed, and 12 wounded. I reported to the first field 
officer to be found in the trap, Major John W. 
Graham, that all would be killed if we remained. 
He ordered us to retire. My brother, mortally 
wounded, was placed on a blanket and three men 
helped me carry him out to the Ambulance Corps. 
When I could leave the command I found him slow- 
ly dying in the Field Hospital. We buried him in 
a private graveyard. Thirty years later I visited 
the spot and found the grave which has since been 

We spent about a month erecting fortifications 
between Drewry's Bluff and Petersburg, then went 


to the north side of James River. From thence on 
the night of June 16th, we were hurried to Peters- 
burg (20 miles) where we arrived at" daylight and 
were sent to meet the advance of Grant's army, then 
ready to enter the town. We were under fire near- 
ly all day. A stray shot exploded the cartridge 
box of Martin Price and badly singed his hands, face, 
hair and whiskers. 

Part of the Confederate lines had been captured. 
Ransom's and Clingman's North Carolina Brigades 
were ordered to recapture them on the night of 
June 17th. It was about 10 o'clock and a full noon 
shed its soft, mellow light upon us. Facing a re- 
cently victorious army we expected hot work. The 
command "Forward" was given. The two brigades 
rushed in to the old lines and met stubborn resist- 
ance, some of the enemy, refusing to surrender, 
were clubbed or bayonetted. The men of Com- 
pany I, secured guns and ammunition. On some 
of these Springfield rifles were carved fish, snakes, 
turtles, etc., the work of Minnesota Indians whom 
we fought by moonlight. These guns were highly 
prized and carried by my men to the close of the 

In this battle my brother, John, was seriously 
wounded. Three inches of bone was removed from 
his right shoulder. I afterwards found him in a 
crowded hospital with the wound neglected and in 


bad condition. I violated the hospital regulations 
and removed him to the home of a Mrs. Griffin, 
where he had good attention. He received furlough 
but was never able to return. He lived about twen- 
ty five years but finally died from the effects of the 

June 18th, about 3 a. m., Company I was ordered 
to deploy as skirmishers, cover the space occupied 
by the 56th regiment and hold the line until the 
enemy could be seen in front. 

The balance of the regiment withdrew nearer to 
Petersburg where they commenced digging on a 
new line of defense as none but soldiers expecting 
attack could do. At daylight after seeing the field 
in front almost covered with living and dead blue 
coats, the company retired to a piece of woodland, 
then to a railroad embankment in an open field 
where we awaited developments. First we were 
attacked by skirmishers and repulsed them. Next 
came a line of battle. We retired under hot fire 
to the new line. In entering, I attempted to pass 
between two pieces of our artillery. In their anxi- 
ety our gunners fired before I passed the muzzles. 
I was knocked by concussion to my knees and 
managed to crawl within our lines. I did not leave 
my post until I saw the enemy's desperate charge 
repulsed with heavy loss, though the severe shock 
rendered me unfit for duty for several days. 


On this day Captain F. N. Roberts, the last re- 
maining commissioned officer of Company B, was 
killed. Lieutenant Joseph M. Walker of my Com- 
pany was detailed to command Company B, and 
acted as its Captain until March 25th, 1865, when 
a large part of both companies were captured. 

Until July 30th, we were in this line. The two 
armies were in some places not more than 200 or 
300 yards apart. Sharpshooters on both sides were 
on the lookout and it was dangerous to raise the 
head above the breastworks. 

Our rations were scant. Part of the meat was 
Nassau bacon from Governor Vance's blockade run- 
ner "Advance." It was yellow with age and near- 
ly all grease, but hungry men could eat it. 

It was rumored that the Federals were tunnelling 
under our lines. We failed to locate the spot. 

About July 20th, being the senior officer present 
for duty, I took command of the 56th regiment 
and served as Colonel for several weeks. 


On the crest of a ridge 1 mile east of Petersburg, 
stood Pegram's Battery, commanding the Federal 
line for more than a mile, which induced the Fed- 
erals to destroy it in the hope of rushing through 
the gap and capturing Petersburg. 150 yards north 
of this battery a small stream flowed northeast 


through our line. The same distance south the Jeru- 
salem road led southeast. To the west was a Con- 
federate mortar battery on higher ground. Ran- 
som's Brigade was north of Pegram's Battery. On 
our right was Elliott's South Carolina Brigade 
which extended southward beyond Pegram's Bat- 

While lying on a piece of oil-cloth, I was awak- 
ened on the morning of July 30th, by the terrific 
explosion, and a rocking, trembling motion of the 
earth. Instantly our men sprang to their guns, 
without adjusting their scanty garments, and in two 
minutes were ready for the terrible ordeal before 

Two hundred pieces of Federal artillery opened 
fire immediately after the explosion, which had de- 
stroyed the battery, killed the men sleeping near 
and blown up the earth, forming a crater forty yards 
long, twenty-five yards wide and about thirty feet 
deep. Three divisions of Federal soldiers (one col- 
ored troops) rushed into the breach with an open 
road to Petersburg. Instead of pressing forward, 
they dallied half an hour while the Confederate 
army took active measures to meet the enemy. 

Ransom's Brigade, fortunately sheltered by the 
bank of the stream, moved rapidly to the right at an 
angle of about 45 from the earthworks. A move- 
ment to the left at about the same angle brought 


the South Carolina Troops into position along the 
Jerusalem road. 

In their new position, so hastily taken, these two 
brigades met and repulsed the terrible onslaught 
of the enemy. Several assaults were made. If the 
Federals moved south or southwest they were met 
by the South Carolinians. If north or northwest, 
Ransom's Tar Heels blocked the way. If they ad- 
vanced toward Petersburg, they were on top of the 
ridge under a deadly cross fire from both lines. 
Meanwhile the mortar battery and other artillery 
threw shells into the huddled mass of Federal 
troops with fearful havoc. After the battle had 
been raging for two or more hours, the Federals 
commenced breaking to the rear singly and in 
squads. This brought them within range of cross- 
fire from Confederates still occupying the old lines 
and many were cut down. 

About nine or ten o'clock General Mahone ar- 
rived with re-inforcements and a general charge was 
ordered. With a yell and bayonet charge the Con- 
federates swept everything before them and re-es- 
tablished the lines. There was a truce for the 
burial of the dead and hundreds of bodies were 
thrown into the great chasm and covered with 

An extract from North Carolina Regiments, Vol- 
ume III, page 372, is here given: 


"The fifty-sixth under Captains Lawson Harrill, 
acting Colonel and R. D. Graham, acting Lieuten- 
ant Colonel deploy in single file and move up the 
line to the right to meet any demonstration in their 
front, contributing by their steady fire materially 
to hold the enemy in check while a forlorn hope 
is being organized for a counter charge. It was 
sure death for one of the Yankees to even start to 
the rear from this north side of the Crater." 

After the battle I visited the Crater where hun- 
dreds of dead Federal soldiers, both white and 
black lay "piled and crossed and packed upon each 
other," the most horrible sight I ever witnessed. 
This battle cost the enemy thousands of men and 
was a great failure on their part. 

August 15th, we exploded a mine under the ene- 
emy's line but gained nothing thereby. I was still 
in command of the regiment, had a close call from 
the explosion of a mortar shell. 


August 21st. Our regiment with others at- 
tempted to drive the enemy from a fortified posi- 
tion on the Weldon railroad, but failed. Company 
I lost Lieutenant Sweezy, John Murray and Rufus 
Davis, killed — several wounded. I was sick and 
not with my company in battle, the only time dur- 
ing my service as captain. Captain R. D. Graham 


commanded regiment. Major John W. Graham re- 
turned from furlough August 25th, and I was re- 
lieved of command of regiment. 

General Wade Hampton in a cavalry raid in the 
rear of Grant's army captured 1800 fine beef cattle. 
I saw them driven into west Petersburg and all 
enjoyed the feast, which followed. 

September, October, November and December, 
1864, and January and February, '65, were spent in 
the trenches east of Petersburg, always exposed to 
sharpshooters. Lieutenant L. M. Lynch was kill- 
ed by a sharpshooter. 

During the long- siege from June 18th, 1864, to 
April, 1865, the men lived underground in "bomb- 
proofs," scantily clothed, almost barefooted and half 
starved. They would eat anything. I was invited 
to a "squirrel dinner" made of wharf rats. 

About the middle of March, the 56th was sent 
six or eight miles southwest of Petersburg, the first 
time in about nine months that we had been from 
under fire. This rest, which was greatly enjoyed 
by the men, was of short duration. On the evening 
of March 24th, we received marching orders and 
by daylight were in our old place east of Petersburg. 


The Federals occupied a strongly fortified posi- 
tion in front of which was a stockade of poles, 


placed at an angle of 45 and bound together with 
wire. General Ransom, in command of two brig- 
ades, formed a line of battle to attack. Standing on 
the Confederate breastworks he called me by name 
and pointing to a pine tree in the Federal lines said, 
"Take your company in at that tree." The bal- 
ance of the regiment was to follow us. We reached 
the stockade and with our bayonets untwisted and 
broke the wires, removed timbers and made a gap 
through which we passed, one or two men at a 
time. The shot from the enemy went over our 
heads as it was too dark for them to see us. We 
made a rush and went over the Federal lines fol- 
lowed closely by the balance of the regiment The 
enemy, after being driven out brought up re-en- 
forcements, made two separate charges and were 
repulsed. I then received an order from General 
Ransom to hold a certain traverse, a cross section 
of breastworks, in defending which I was captured 
with about twenty of my men. I give extracts 
from the description of this battle by Captain R. D. 
Graham. North Carolina Regiments, Vol. Ill, pages 

390, 39 1 . 392: 

"Captain L,. Harrill, in command of Companv I 
* * * and Lieutenant Chas. M. Payne, of Com- 
pany K, * * * now move briskly over the 
line with the skirmishers, and on their heels fol- 
lows our line of battle. * * * The position is 


ours before the enemy is ready for the work of the 
day * *. The morning wore on, with the ene- 
my paying us their respects both with jnfantry and 
distant artillery on the left, and shelling from a 
point to our right * * * *. Compaq' I was 
on the extreme left of that part of the lines held by 
the Confederates, and after the battle had been rag- 
ing for some time, Captain Harrill received an or- 
der from General Ransom with his compliments, 
saying "The traverse there must be held." The 
defense of this traverse for a time checked the en- 
emy rushing along their main line to enfilade the 
regiment. About nine or ten o'clock, as the regi- 
ment was withdrawing last from the field, the en- 
emy made another desperate charge in front and at 
the same time the second Michigan regiment 
rushed along the main line and captured Captain 
Harrill and about twenty men of the company." 
J. C. Gross and Thomas Robbins were killed. Rem- 
nants of the two companies, I and B, escaped and 
under First Lieutenant J. M. Walker, Second Lieu- 
tenant P. H. Gross and (uncommissioned) Third 
Lieutenant C. P. Tanner, continued with the regi- 

Access to the diary of C. P. Tanner, well known 
as one of the bravest men in Company I, enables 
me to follow their movements to Five Forks, — 
March 26th, spent in making new fortifications, 


worked nearly all night, — at sunrise moved back to 
old quarters. 28th. Skirmishing at Burgess' Mill, 
on Hatcher's Run. 29th. Marched through cold 
rain parallel with Federal troops. Repulsed, with- 
out loss, several attacks of cavalry. Remained in 
camp next day and on the 31st advanced toward 
Dinwiddie C. H., had skirmishing at Richardson's 
Run and lay in line of battle all night. 

April 1st. Continued march expecting attack. 
Men anxious for battle. After some skirmishing 
marched back toward Five Forks and found them- 
selves almost surrounded and cut off. Roads im- 
passible, marched through woods and fields, aban- 
doned ambulances in the mud. Rations that night, 
for desperately hungry men, was a chunk of corn 

A few moments after arriving at Five Forks they 
were attacked and repulsed several charges. At 
last they were surrounded, attacked in front and 
rear and forced to surrender. General Ransom was 
taken from under his horse and with a few men 
managed to escape, but the regiment was reduced 
to one company's strength. Lieutenants Walker 
and Tanner were captured. Lieutenant Gross es- 
caped and with J. D. Jones, J. G. Horton, W. R. 
Smart, O. D. Price, G. L. Lovelace, R. H. Wall, and 
Jonas Womack, answered roll call at Appomattox. 
Only eight men left of one hundred and forty-six. 



The battle of Hare's Hill ended my active service 
in the Confederate Army. When I saw we would 
be captured, I hid my sword in the leaves. I re- 
ceived courteous treatment from my captor, Major 

of the 2nd Michigan Regiment, 

who was a Mason. I was taken by rail to City 
Point, thence to Fortress Munroe and Washington, 
by boat. On the boat an old gentleman in citizens 
clothes made himself known to me as a Mason, and 
invited me to dine with him. The guard refused. 
The gentleman then asked if I had any Confederate 
money. I handed him a bill and he gave me a 
greenback bill in exchange. I used this money in 
buying food. 

I was taken to Old Capitol Prison in Washing- 
ton. All windows facing the street had been brick- 
ed up, and light entered from an inner court of the 

I was transferred to Fort Delaware, on an island 
in the Delaware river, not many days before Lin- 
coln's assassination, after which, double guards 
(some of them negro troops) were placed around 
the prison. We were not allowed to assemble in 
groups, and when exercising in the yard, were not 
allowed to stop to speak to anyone. 

Our food supply was limited. The worst feature 


of the bean soup was the number of flies in it. 
Fortunately, I was able to purchase soome food. 
My uncle, Judge John Baxter, of Knoxville, Tenn., 
sent me a check for $50.00, on which I paid $6.00 
exchange. Balance given me only in small sums 
to prevent me from buying my way out of prison. 
Col. Frank Coxe, sent me a check for $10.00. It 
failed to reach me, though some one cashed it. 

After I had been at Fort Delaware about a month 
circulars were given to the prisoners, offering us 
freedom if we would take the oath of allegiance. 
Less than a dozen of the 1200 officers imprisoned 
here took the oath. 


I remained in prison until June 19th, when I was 
required to hold up my right hand while the oath 
was read to me, therefore I did not regard it as 

Twenty-five North Carolinians left in a squad. I 
was made captain and went to the Army Head- 
quarters in Philadelphia, where a party pass was 
given me good to Salisbury, N. C. While stand- 
ing here in my ragged, dirty prison clothing, I was 
recognized by the carrier who delivered my mail 
when I was a student at Jefferson Medical College, 
four years before. He furnished me a long linen 
duster which covered my rags. I went to call on 


my former landlady, Miss Susan Roberts, and found 
she had sent a bundle of clothing to the prison for 
me. The package did not reach me. 

With the squad I went by rail to Baltimore, 
then on a miserably dirty cattle transport to Nor- 
folk, where we were placed on a better boat and 
went up the James river to Richmond, thence by 
rail to Salisbury, where we separated. I told the 
inn keeper, Mr. Alex Buis, that I had no money. 
He gave me lodging and breakfast. As I was leav- 
ing and thanking him for his kindness, a stranger 
handed me a two-dollar bill and urged me to accept 
it. I paid my bill, took my friend's name, and one 
year later, was enabled to return the money. With 
75 cents in my pocket I boarded the train. I told 
the conductor my circumstances and he did not ask 
me ^for a ticket. At Catawba Station I left the 
train, took dinner with my brother-in-law, J. M. 
Lewis, and started for Wilkes county, on an old, 
worn-out mule. 

I spent the night with a man who was expecting 
his son home from the army, paid him 75 cents, 
and reached home without a cent. 



I found the family of my father-in-law almost in 
need, as Stoneman had passed through some weeks 
previous and almost stripped the country. 

There were seven in the family to be fed, besides 
ten or twelve negroes who were shrewd enough not 
to leave their old master. Our food was mainly 
corn bread and pork from a litter of pigs, three 
months old, which we butchered one by one and 
ate half of one in a day. This fare seemed sump- 
tuous to the three returned soldiers. 

About July I visited my parents in Rutherford 
county and found I had left with them $3.50 in sil- 
ver — now my entire estate. I returned to Wilkes 
where I practiced medicine and farmed for several 
hard years of the 


The State was without a currency. Everything 
was in confusion and uncertainty. There were no 
schools and no mail facilities. We had to send 
fourteen miles to Wilkesboro for mail. 

Designing men organized the negroes into "Loy- 
al Leagues" or "Red Strings," the badge being any- 
thing red worn anywhere about the person. One 
meeting place was about half a mile from my home. 
The meetings were boisterous, noise continuing 


nearly all night. Fences were thrown down so 
stock could destroy the crops. 

At this time Hon. Josiah Turner had~an appoint- 
ment to speak in Wilksboro and a threat was made 
that he would not be allowed to do so. A message 
was sent to the old soldiers and on the appointed 
day they were present prepared for business. The 
leaders of the Red Strings were notified that they 
would be held personally responsible for the slight- 
est disturbance and would be the first to suffer. It 
proved to be a quiet day. 

I was disfranchised by the authorities, the lead- 
ers of the League, upon the ground that, before the 
war, I was deputy postmaster at a little country 
postoffice, which perhaps paid to the principal ten 
or twelve dollars a year, the true reason being the 
fact that they could not control my vote. 

Such conditions led to the organization of the 
Ku Klux Klan who soon brought about a very 
different state of affairs. I was not a member but 
knew something of their movements. 

In 1870, I moved to Abilene, Kansas, where I 
found there was a law disfranchising any one who 
had served in the Confederate army. My ballot 
was challenged at the first election. I was then 
told that I would be allowed to vote if I could say 
I had been drafted, or had entered the Confederate 
army under compulsion. I replied "I went into 


the army voluntarily and under like circumstances 
would act in the same way." During the next ses- 
sion of the Legislature an act was passed making 
me a citizen of the State of Kansas. I was no long- 
er a man without a country. 


56th Regiment, North Carolina Troops. 

Gen. M. W. Ransom's Brigade. 

Kilpatrick, James W. Enlisted May i, 1861. 
Promoted ist Lieutenant Company D, i6th Regi- 
ment. Promoted Captain Company I, 56th Regi- 
ment, April 7, 1862. Killed at Seven Pines, May 
31, 1862. 

Harrill, Lawson. Enlisted Company D, 16th 
Regiment, May 1, 1861. Promoted to ist Lieuten- 
ant, April 7, 1862. Promoted to Captain Company 
I, 56th Regiment, May 31, 1862, at battle of Seven 
Pines. Living. 


Sweezy, James H. Enlisted March 15, 1862. 
Promoted 2nd Lieutenant. Promoted 1st Lieuten- 
ant, May 31, 1862. Discharged July 29, 1862, and 
died soon after. 

Sweezy, Henry A. L. Enlisted May 1, 1861, Com- 
pany D, 1 6th Regiment. Promoted to 3rd Lieu- 
tenant, April, 7, 1862, Company I, 56th Regiment. 
Promoted to 2nd Lieutenant, August 2, 1862. Pro- 
moted to 1st Lieutenant, August 2, 1862. Killed 
near Petersburg, Va., August 21, 1864. 

Walker, Joseph M. Enlisted May 1, 1861, Com- 
pany D, 1 6th Regiment. Promoted to 2nd Lieu- 
tenant, Company I, 56th Regiment, July 26, 1862. 
Promoted to 1st Lieutenant, August 21, 1864. De- 
tailed to command Company B, 56th Regiment, 
June 18, 1864, and continued to April 1, 1865. 
Prisoner at Johnson's Island. Home July 4, 1865. 

Gross, Philip H. Enlisted May, 1861, Company 
G, 1 6th, transferred to Company I, 56th Regi- 
ment. Promoted to 3rd Lieutenant, October, 1863. 
Promoted to 2nd Lieutenant, August 21, 1864. 

Lynch, L. M. Enlisted March 18, 1862. Orderly 
Sergeant. Promoted 3rd Lieutenant, September, 
1864. Killed near Petersburg, Va., in February, 


Tanner, C. P. Enlisted March, 1862. Sergeant. 
Promoted to 3rd Lieutenant, March, 1865, not com- 
missioned. Wounded. Living. 

Calton, John W. Enlisted March 26, 1862. Or- 
derly Sergeant. 

Wall, W. G. Enlisted March 26, 1862. Sergeant. 

Mooney, Jonathan. Enlisted May 1, 1862. Ser- 
geant. Wounded. 

Harrill, Amos. Enlisted May 1, 1861, Company 
D, 1 6th Regiment. Transferred to Company I. 
Sergeant. Mortally wounded at Ware Bottom 
Church, May 20, 1864. Died, May 21, 1864. 

Beam, W. C. L. Corporal. Enlisted March 19, 
1862. Killed at Ware Bottom Church, May 20, 1864. 

Lynch, W. L. Corporal. Enlisted March 18, 1862. 

Robbins, John B. Corporal. Enlisted March 3, 
1862. Captured. Died at Point Lookout. 

Price, Adam. Corporal. Enlisted March 21, 
1862. Living. 

Price, John R. Corporal. Enlisted March 21, 

Price, Joseph G. Drummer. Enlisted March 21, 
1862. Went into battle at Seven Pines, and killed 
May 31, 1862. 


Price, Oliver D. Fifer. Enlisted March 21, 1862. 
Cook and Nurse at invalid camp during seige of 
Petersburg, 1864 and 1865. Living. 


Atkinson, J. M. Enlisted. 

Biggerstaff, G. W. Enlisted May 2, 1861, Com- 
pany D, 16th. Transferred April 7, 1862. 

Biggerstaff, I. N. Enlisted March 20, 1862. Liv- 

Bird, William. Enlisted March 21, 1862. Dis- 
charged December 1, 1862. 

Bolton, S. B. Enlisted March 15, 1862. Died 
from wound. 

Bolton, J. H. Enlisted March 15, 1862. Killed 
near Petersburg. 

Bridges, A. W. Enlisted March 4, 1862. Wound- 

Brooks, Wm. A. Enlisted March 4, 1862. Killed 
at Seven Pines, May 31, 1862. 

Buff, A. M. Enlisted March 21, 1862. Wounded. 

Buff, Daniel C. Enlisted March 21, 1862. Died 
June 27, 1862. 


Bailey, Riley. 


Bailey, John. 

Canipe, John W. Enlisted March 17, 1862. 

Cash, Haswell. Enlisted March 21, 1862. Dis- 
charged July 1, 1862. 

Covington, J. C. Enlisted March 19, 1862. Died 
on roadside June 11, 1862. 

Campbell, J. P. Enlisted November 11, 1863. 

Campbell, Thos. Enlisted April 10, 1864. 

Dameron, T. G. Enlisted March 21, 1862. 

Dameron, Wm. Enlisted March 21, 1862. Died 
at Wilmington, March, 1863. 

Daves, William. Enlisted July 8, 1862. Killed 
at Plymouth, N. C, April 20, 1864. 

Daves, William J. Enlisted March 21, 1862. 

Davis, Rufus. Enlisted July 8, 1862. Wouuded. 
Died in prison. 

Davis, J. L. Enlisted. 
Deck, G. W. Enlisted March 21, 1862. 
DePriest, J. G. B. Enlisted March 21, 1862. 
Dobbins, Nehemiah. Enlisted 1863. 


Franklin, J. P. July 8, 1862. Died in hospital. 

Floyd, J. M. Enlisted March 21, 1862^. Died in 
hospital July 29, 1862. 

Freeman, Dock. Enlisted. 

Goforth, J. H. Enlisted July 8, 1862. 

Goforth, Thomas. Enlisted. 

Griffin, George. Enlisted March 21, 1862. Kill- 
ed May 20, 1864, Ware Bottom Church. 

Green, I,. M. Enlisted July 8, 1862. Died in 

Green, Samuel. Enlisted July 8, 1862. 

Green, William. Enlisted July 8, 1862. 

Green, James. Enlisted March 21, 1862. Died 
in hospital April 30, 1862. 

Green, Whitten. Enlisted July 8, 1862. Died 
July 10, 1862. 

Gross, J. C. Enlisted March 19, 1862. Killed 
near Petersburg, March 25, 1865. 

Hamilton, W. P. Enlisted March 21, 1862. Died 
in hospital July 27, 1862. 

Hamilton, J. W. Enlisted March 21, 1862. 

Hanks, E. F. Enlisted Transferred to 

Company A, 56th Regiment. 


Harrill, Housen. Enlisted May i, 1861, Com- 
pdny D, 16th, transferred to Company I. Wounded. 

Harrill, Drury. Enlisted March 21, 1862. Died 
in hospital January 6, 1863. 

Harrill, John B. Enlisted September, 1861, Com- 
pany B, 34th. Discharged. Re-enlisted July, 1862. 
Severely wounded June 17, 1864. 

Harrill, Pinkney. Enlisted 1862. Died from 

Henson, J. C. Enlisted March 21, 1862. Severely 
wounded. Nose split open, two front teeth, portion 
of bone and ball all caught in mouth. 

Hollifield, H. C. Enlisted July 5, 1862. 

Hollifield, N. J. Enlisted July 5, 1862. Wounded. 

Horton, D. M. Enlisted March 15, 1862. Lost 
left arm August 21, 1864. 

Horton, G. J. Enlisted March 21, 1862. Wound- 

Horton, W. T. Enlisted July 8, 1862. Killed 
near Petersburg, August 21, 1864. 

Horton, John J. Enlisted March 21, 1862. Died 
in hospital April 28, 1862. 

Horton, Paton. Enlisted March 3, 1862. Died 
in hospital. 


Hutchings, Isaac. Enlisted March 20, 1862. 
Died in hospital April 24, 1862. 

Hitchings, Reuben. Enlisted March 20, 1862. 
Died in hospital May 1, 1862. 

Huntsinger, John. Enlisted March 21, 1862. 

Huntsinger, Wm. Enlisted March 20, 1862. 

Jones, J. D. Enlisted March 12, 1862. Wounded. 

King, Spencer. Enlisted March 21, 1862. Died 
in hospital June 20, 1862. 

King, Wm. Enlisted March 21, 1862. Died in 
hospital June 1, 1862. 

Lynch, A. K. Enlisted May 1, 1861, Company 
D, 16th. Transferred to Company I. Killed at 
Seven Pines, May 31, 1862. 

Lynch, Hyman. Enlisted. 

Lovelace, G. L. C. Enlisted February 19, 1863. 

Melton, Samuel. Enlisted. 

Melton, Joseph. Enlisted. 

Melton, J. S. Enlisted March 15, 1862. 

Michael, James M. Enlisted July 8, 1862. 

Moxley, Thos. Enlisted October, 1863. 

Mooney, David. Enlisted March 21, 1862. 


Mooney, E. D. Enlisted October 14, 1862. Lost 
left arm August 21, 1864. 

Mooney, Jacob. Enlisted January 1, 1863. Died 
at Ashland, Va., April 29, I863. 

Mooney, Philip. Enlisted. Died at Williams- 
burg, Va. 

Mooney, M. O. Enlisted March 15, 1862. 

Mooney, Peter. Enlisted March 15, 1862. Died 
from wound in knee. 

McFarland, D. C. Enlisted July 8, 1862. Died 
January 5, 1863, at Goldsboro. 

Murray, John W. Enlisted July 8, 1862. Killed 
August 21, 1864. 

Nelon, James R. Enlisted March 20, 1862. 

Owens, Thomas. Enlisted March 21, 1862. Se- 
verely woonded. 

Owens, Amos. Enlisted May 1, 186 1, Company 
D, 16th. Discharged January 17, 1862. Re-enlisted. 

Padgett, Craton. Enlisted March 21, 1862. 

Padgett, J. L. Enlisted July 8, 1862. Wounded. 

Padgett, L,andrum. Enlisted April 6, 1864. 

Philbeck, A. B. Enlisted March 15, 1862. 
Died in hospital. 


Philbeck, J. P. Enlisted July 8, 1862. Wound- 

Philbeck, W. H. Enlisted March 21, 1862. 
Died in hospital. 

Pope, L. J. Enlisted July 8, 1862. Died in the 

Porter, W. D. Enlisted March 21, 1862. Dis- 

Price, F. J. Enlisted July 10, 1862. 

Price, G. W. Enlisted March 22, 1862. Wounded. 

Price, H. W. Enlisted July 8, 1862. Wounded. 
Died in prison. 

Price, John M. Enlisted April 1, 1863. Wound- 

Price, John R. Enlisted March 21, 1862. 

Price, T. F. Enlisted July 8, 1862. 

Price, Martin G. Enlisted July 8, 1862. Wound- 

Price, R. S. Enlisted July 8, 1862. 

Robbins, P. L. Enlisted July 8, 1862. 

Robbins, Thomas. Enlisted July 5, 1862. Kill- 
ed March 25, 1865, near Petersburg. 

Smith, C. C. Enlisted May 1, 1861, Company 
D, 16th. Transferred April 7, 1862. 


Spake, George. Enlisted March 21, 1862. 

Smart, D. P. Enlisted February 12, 1863. 

Sparks, W. A. Enlisted April 14, 1863. 
Smart, Wm. R. Enlisted 1863. 

Sorrels, Henry R. Enlisted March 15, 1862. 
Killed at Seven Pines, May 31, 1862. 

Spurlin, George W. Enlisted April 7, 1862. 
Died from wound. 

Sweezy, T. J. Enlisted March 15, 1862. 

Sweezy, J. W. Enlisted July 8, 1862. 

Towry, John P. Enlisted March 21, 1862. 

Towry, L. M. Enlisted March 21, 1862. Dis- 

Tessenear, Jackson. Enlisted February 12, 1863. 
Killed May 20, 1864, at Ware Bottom Church. 

Tessenear, Joseph. Enlisted February 12, 1863. 
Killed May 20, 1864, at Ware Bottom Church. 

Wall, E. H. Enlisted March 21, 1862. 

Wall, Riley H. Enlisted March 21, 1862. 

Wall, Simeon. Enlisted March 21, 1862. Kill- 
ed near Petersburg. 


Wall, John. Enlisted March 21,1862. Discharged. 

Walker, John. Enlisted July 5, 1862.^ 

Walker, Davidson. Enlisted July 8, 1862. Died 
December 26, 1862, Franklin, Va. 

Walker, Louis A. Enlisted March 22, 1862. Died 
in hospital June 10, 1862. 

Walker, Fred. Enlisted July 5, 1862. Died in 

Walker, J. B. Enlisted. 

Webb, R. A. Enlisted July 5, 1862. 

Weast, M. G. Enlisted July 8, 1861. Died in 

Wells, John. Enlisted October 1, 1862. 

Whitaker, Z. B. Enlisted July 5, 1862. 

Whitaker, I. H. Enlisted July 5, 1862. 

Whitaker, R. D. Enlisted July 5, 1862. 

Womack, John. Enlisted 1863. 

Womack, Jonas. Enlisted July 5, 1862. 

Total number of officers and men, - - 146 

Killed and mortally wounded on battle fields, 25 

Died from disease, 28 

Severely wounded but recovered, - - 25 

Discharged for disability, - 5 

A large number of slight wounds, not serious 
enough to require hospital treatment not reported. 
Very few escaped without any wound. 


These reminiscences are published for the pur- 
pose of placing certain historical facts in better 
s^ape for preservation. The first person is used not 
from egotism, but because the facts can be better 
told in that way. 

The record of each man of my Company is from 
Muster Rolls, in my possession, made when events 
were fresh in mind. The long list of killed and 
severely wounded, without enumerating the many 
slight wounds, is proof that Company I was at the 
front and on the firing line. Its record was made 
possible by the bravery and devotion of the privates, 
"the men behind the guns," during the three years 
of its existence. 

To the memory of the twenty-five members of 
the Company who went to their death on the battle- 
field ; 

To the twenty-eight others, who from exposure, 
sickened and died; 

To those who have since passed away; 

To the twenty-five others, who suffered from se- 
vere wounds, but lived with shattered health; 

To all the living, true and tried, now old men, 
this imperfect recital of our dangers and trials, is 
affectionately dedicated. 

When the final roll call is made, may each be 
prepared to "pass over the river and rest under the 
shade of the trees," is the wish of your old comrade, 
/&£, <3 L. HARRILL. 










_«£**' i 
TO ..I